Molfetta is an important fishing port. The territory where the town now stands was already inhabited in Neolithic times. The town was ruled by the Swabian and Angevin.
On the edge of the old town stands the Duomo Vecchio dedicated to the town's patron saint, St. Conrad of Bavaria. This Duomo is the largest of those Apulian-Romanesque churches whose cupolas are built on an axis and rest on octagonal tambours. Its construction began in 1150 and completed in the XIII century. On the two sides of the facade there are two towers. Inside is a mix of Romanesque, Byzantine and Muslim styles.
Other interesting buildings in Molfetta include the XVII century Cattedrale Nuova dedicated to Our lady of Assumption, the Church of Saint Peter, with a nice tower, and the Church of San Bernardino, built in the XVII century.
Near Molfetta there is an interesting prehistoric place called Pulo. Within this complex there is a series of small caves where neolithic men lived creating an important prehistoric centre. Various ceramics have been found in this area, now kept in the Archaeology Museum in Bari.
Molfetta tourist information
+39 340 6275392
Via Piazza, 27
Towns in Puglia