Mashed fava beans with cicory
Mashed fava beans and chicory is a dish prepared all around Puglia. In ancient times, the fava beans were cooked in earthenware jars left next to a burning fire for hours.
- 500 g dried fava beans
- 2-3 potatoes
- 1 kg chicory
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 5-6 bay leaves
- Soak the dried broad beans in water and let them sit for at least 12 hours.
- Put the broad beans in a pot and cover with water, add a couple of laurel leaves and the peeled potatoes.
- Cook for a couple of hours during which make sure to remove the foam that forms on top.
- In the meantime, clean the vegetables, bring salted water to a boil, add the vegetables and cook for 15-20 minutes and then drain.
- Once the broad beans are cooked take out the excess water and whip with a wooden spoon, add salt and olive oil.
- Serve the mashed beans and chicory on a large plate adding in little olive oil on the chicory.
Try again alter
Mediterranean cuisine. Recipes from Puglia
Simple, quick and healthy recipes from the Mediterranean cuisine of the Puglia region of Italy. All recipes with full screen photos to guide and facilitate each stage of the preparation. Buy now and by just updating the book get new added recipes for free.